D&D 3.0: Tales from Mystara
Mystara is a planet, the Known World is a section of that planet who has cultures and a level of technological development that resemble Europe around the 15th century, but without gunpowder. Nations of the known world display a great range of government types. Some nations are populated entirely by demihumans and/or humanoids. By common convention, the boundaries of the “Known World” are those covered in the world map.
Two moons orbit the planet of Mystara. Matera is a moon much like our own, whose phases govern lycanthropy (werewolves, werebears, etc.). Only the Immortals of Mystara inhabit Matera. They live in a city, Pandius, where they can meet and watch over Mystara. Patera, is an invisible moon that cannot be seen from Mystara. See the Mystara Calendar.
The mayor races of Mystara are humans ( with their different Human Ethnicity ), Elves-High, Dwarves-Hill, Halflings-Lightfoot, Half-Orcs and Gnomes-Rock. But there are many nations present and some of them have complete cities like the Shadow Elves.
As the name implies, the Known World covers the most notable nations of Mystara, the ones most commonly used in Mystara-based campaigns and featured in fiction. The following are the most notable nations by continent:
- Atruaghin Clans, which have an Amerindian feel.
- Broken Lands, a land of demihuman tribes like the orcs, goblins and kobolds.
- Emirates of Ylaruam which have an Arabic flavor.
- Ethengar Khanate, a Mongol-like society.
- Five Shires, the Halfling lands.
- Heldann Freeholds, ruled by an order of religious knights known as the Heldannic Knights devoted to the Immortal Vanya, similar to the Teutonic Knights.
- Ierendi, a pirate-ridden archipelago that tries to appear as a tropical paradise.[
- Kingdom of Alfheim, the elven Kingdom.
- Kingdom of Karameikos, comparable to medieval southeastern Europe.
- Kingdom of Norworld
- Kingdom of Rockhome, Dwarven nation.
- Minrothad Guilds, seaborne merchants, with a structure operation of their guilds, including their laws and rigid caste system.
- Northern Reaches includes the Kingdom of Ostland, Kingdom of Vestland, the Soderfjord Jarldoms, based on Scandinavian kingdoms at various periods of history.
- Principalities of Glantri, which is similar to medieval western Europe, ruled by wizard-princes.
- Republic of Darokin, the merchant-run republic which is based somewhat loosely on the mercantile states of Medieval Italy.
- Shadow Elves
- Thyatian Empire, which could be compared to the Roman Byzantine Empire.
- Kingdom of Nathania
- Emirates of Dagba
- Kingdom of Dastium
- Kingdom of Dolfheim
- Kingdom of Sismich